carlynewlondon Offline

Loc: Home: Burlington, Boat: New Lo...
Why not John Gault?
Fishing Info
#1217464 - 06/01/10 01:43 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: swwind]
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
Petroleum is the life blood of the global economy. Gasoline is not where the majority of Crude oil goes, despite what we often think.

It's used to make many products we all need to live our lives, whether we like it or not.

Less drilling in the U.S. means more dependency on Foreign Oil. A very dangerous option that puts the Middle East in a more important light than we may want.

Just because one of the 3500 Oil wells in the Gulf has failed, it doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to pursue deep sea drilling as an option. The other energy options are Nuclear, Coal, Wind and a few others, but we all know how popular these are.

Why don't we ban all Automobiles when there's a fatal car accident? We don't because we know we need them, and it's the same situation with Crude Oil. Statements to the contrary are wrought with misinformation and demogagary.

#1217473 - 06/01/10 02:04 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: swwind]
Conrad G. Online   fishing

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Originally Posted By: swwind
Political ideology means nothing here and lets not kill this thread with non sence.

This is failure of LEADERSHIP that goes back 20 years for both parties. It was only a matter of time until this happened.

For too long, despite the overwhelming national interest of reducing our demand for oil, our leaders have tip toed the line of off shore drilling and middle east imports to keep gasoline cheep and voters placated.

We have stood by while the greatest international movement of wealth in our lifetime has taken place and countless fragile ecosystems put at risk.

When will a leader, inside or outside of government, lead American's to an honest understanding and acceptance THAT WE CAN NOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Hard choices need to be made and Americans have always answered the bell when asked - but our leaders never ask.

We need a leader like John Muir to rise from this mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir

Agreed on that but when does one take responcibility??When there is obvious evedence of paying off goverment inspectors and the leadership does noting, yes they need to be blamed...Obass, get real, The guy works for the oposing team!!!!

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1217482 - 06/01/10 02:15 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: John from Madison CT]
swwind Offline

Originally Posted By: John from Madison CT
Petroleum is the life blood of the global economy.

There lies much of the problem. But American's are held hostage by petroleum demand.

Less drilling in the U.S. means more dependency on Foreign Oil. A very dangerous option that puts the Middle East in a more important light than we may want.

A great set of choices . . . but the most disappointing part. We could see this disaster developing in 1990's. Twenty years of failed adjustment & leadership.

Just because one of the 3500 Oil wells in the Gulf has failed, it doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to pursue deep sea drilling as an option.

I think it does - we should expend the resources to get off the petroleum treadmill or we will find ourselves even deeper in the same hole in 2020

Why don't we ban all Automobiles when there's a fatal car accident?

John - this analogy you frequently use just seems silly. Its not the same - not even close

Edited by swwind (06/01/10 02:29 PM)

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1217496 - 06/01/10 02:40 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: swwind]
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
How is my analogy different?

As for viable alternatives, I've not heard ANY that make sense. What do you think should replace Crude Oil?

#1217502 - 06/01/10 03:06 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: John from Madison CT]
swwind Offline

How is my analogy different?

Becuase when you click the seatbelt and turn the key you accept the risk.

But when you are gulf sea food vendor who's lifestyle has just been crushed by BP, you had no say in exposing yourself to the risk.

Thats why they are different.

What do you think should replace Crude Oil?

Wind, Solar, Tide, Nuclear, Smart Grid, Fuel Cells, Lifestly Changes, Algy, there are a host of other evolving zero emissions alternatives.

The choice is simple - keep digging ourselves into a deeper hole or face the music and do the hard work to change our national energy mix.

The transition will take at least 20 years - so we best get started.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1217508 - 06/01/10 03:20 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: swwind]
Joe.G Offline

You can't say it any better than that swwind, solely because its true. The "digging ourselves into a deeper hole" is literal. I don't think most people understand the depth of this problem. It is just the beginning I fear.

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

#1217529 - 06/01/10 04:07 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: Joe.G]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Flash report..........We are a long way from changing over to an alternative fuel. I would say 25 years before we make any major changes from fossil fuels.

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1217531 - 06/01/10 04:16 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: Joe.G]
Lead Head Offline

As usual it does not take long for one individual on this site to bring his political rants into a discussion where it does not belong .... Before this thread gets shut down I just wanted to wish Hoop the best it can't be easy for anyone down there that relies on the gulf for their income. Hopefully this mess can get cleaned up.
#1217541 - 06/01/10 04:29 PM Re: Hoop on CNN tonight! [Re: Joe.G]
RedfishCT Offline

Anyone who can justify more off shore drilling or defend BP has neither love or respect for our oceans.
Page 14 of 25 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics