ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#836682 - 07/10/07 12:41 PM Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash
Joe Mc Offline

The West River beneath the Kimberly Avenue bridge in West Haven has long been a fishing spot for shore fisherman. Both banks on this river look like a dump. Plastic bottles, discarded fishing line and many other forms of trash litter this area and it is all attributable to these shore fisherman. They are also abusive, they cast in to the navigable channel, which is thin at low water,and harangue the boaters who come near their lines. There have been cases where these folks have thrown objects at the 'offending' boats. I have been privy to and complained about this situation before and it seems to be getting worse. As soon as I can I will post some pics.

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Edited by Joe Mc (10/17/07 02:08 AM)
Edit Reason: Pics added
Fishing Info
#837683 - 07/12/07 08:08 AM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Joe Mc]
doe master Offline

The same thing happens at the Q bridge area, the guys on the shore started throwing rocks at another boat out there and swearing up a storm, think they own the water too, if they throw rocks at my boat there in for a big surprise,
#838591 - 07/16/07 12:07 AM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: doe master]
Joe Mc Offline

Tonight (Sunday 7/15)I was navigating the channel in the West River at low tide when I approached the Kimberly Avenue bridge the foul language and fist shaking started. I am restricted by draft as to where I can go. As I passed these shore fisherman two of them casted lures in front of and behind my boat, close enough to cause my grandson to duck. Had they hit him or hooked anyone on my boat for that matter, the situation could have turned very ugly. These folks obviously do not respect the rights of boaters or the enviroment and I personally feel that they should be banned from fishing that area. Also I have seen many short fish kept by these folks.
#838620 - 07/16/07 12:52 AM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Joe Mc]
tomashton Offline

Loc: Plainville
When i go to Rhode Island fishing and i fish from the breachways, whenever i see a boat either comming or going, I always reel my line in, mainly because i dont want the line to get tangled on the prop and cut it, and if i lose my hook or whatever i am using because of it getting tangled in the prop, I can only blame it on one person and that person is me, I usually wait until they are either inside or outside the breachway out of my casting distance, then i cast again.

I would never ever cast my line near a moving boat, for a couple of reasons, The main reason is it is very dangerous because as Joe Mc puts it, you could hit someone in the boat, And if you hit the driver of the boat that could cause a accident, The boat could hit the rocks or hit another boat head on and possibly have someone on either boat or boat boats die.

And the 2ND reason is, As far as i am concerned the boats have the right of way.

http://tomashton.proboards.com/

My improved fishing,hunting,camping and boating Website.
#838771 - 07/16/07 09:37 AM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: tomashton]
doe master Offline

Its real tuff at low tide cause the channel is not that wide and the guys line the shore like there is naked ladies on the boats, plus you dont want to get a line in the prop, not only will it spool your reel, you can also get the string in the prop seals and cut them, that is a big $$$$$ expense I dont want to pay, they have no respect out there casting in front and back of you and almost hittin the boats, like I said there will be big problems if they hit my boat or someone on it and if a fellow boater out there needs a haand I am there, just yell, I have a 18 foot starcraft with a black 80 hp Merc on the back
#843541 - 07/26/07 11:33 PM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Joe Mc]
Bo_Neato Offline
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Mc
Tonight (Sunday 7/15)I was navigating the channel in the West River at low tide when I approached the Kimberly Avenue bridge the foul language and fist shaking started. I am restricted by draft as to where I can go. As I passed these shore fisherman two of them casted lures in front of and behind my boat, close enough to cause my grandson to duck. Had they hit him or hooked anyone on my boat for that matter, the situation could have turned very ugly. These folks obviously do not respect the rights of boaters or the enviroment and I personally feel that they should be banned from fishing that area. Also I have seen many short fish kept by these folks.

You should write a letter to the WHPD Chief and also the Mayor. The city is looking to develop the area, a task made more difficult by the trash - both of the refuse and human varieties. There are WH cops who belong to both City Point Yacht Club and West Cove Marina who can attest to this dynamic, and the city's marine patrol boat is slipped at West Cove. It's an issue worth taking the time to pen a letter for.

#844767 - 07/29/07 10:36 PM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Bo_Neato]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
I went down there last year to fish from the rocks one morning before work in the fall, it must have been 15 years ago since I was there last. Well now I know why I don't shore fish there, it's worse then it was 15 years ago! Cut bunker all over the place, tangled line everywhere I stepped. The place smelled like an outhouse. Then to top it off, I see a seagull trying to fly away from me about 20 ft. away (it was a low tide) and the poor thing is stuck on a rock, tangled in line with a hook and steel leader down it's throat. I'm not making that up. I didn't have a wire cutters on me but cut the mono and watched that bird fly away. What a disgrace. People leaving hooks and leaders on the rocks like that. Nothing like fishing in the hood. Losers.

New House 5/18
#873660 - 10/17/07 02:15 AM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: JohnS]
Joe Mc Offline

These pics taken October 15 2007. No improvement.
#874230 - 10/18/07 03:19 PM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Joe Mc]
Squeegeeking Offline
It is What It Is

I agree with the whole mess thing zero arguments there, something has to be done about that but certain people who fish there dont care about it..Also some of this stuff does come down or up with the tide grante di am sure most of it originated there.
As far as throwing stuff at boats or casting in the direction of boats i can understand if they cast in the boats direction when you are going past them once again no arguments..BUT iam sure alot you understand they too have the right to fish there and i know of very few people who would reel in their lines when a boat comes by..personally in certain narrow channels i do but then again another example is BONDS DOCK boats come way to close to the fishing peir fully knowing that there are people with lines in the water..we have even eccountered BOAT GUYS casting towards the shore right ontop os the shore guys lines.so in a way it goes both ways
I think both boaters and non boaters have to work togther.Personnaly i REFUSE to lose another shore spot to both the guys on the shore who disrespect the area and some boaters who dont have a care in the world

Nor'East Detailing....Boat,R.V and Auto detailing
The SqueegeeKing....Residential and low rise commercial window cleaning
#898009 - 12/22/07 01:22 PM Re: Kimberly Avenue Bridge trash [Re: Squeegeeking]
Joe Mc Offline

Well there has been no response from DEP, I realize that they are understaffed, so I guess we can look forward to the same situation next year.
One of these times I can visualise a serious confrontation taking place. Throwing objects at a boat constitutes assault and I don't know about others but if I am assaulted I will take measures to ensure my family's and guests safety.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics