ctfisherman.com logo
Page 32 of 177 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#397212 - 10/06/04 11:29 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Tackleman Offline

Loc: Suffield/Niantic, CT
unsolicited politcal view.....

Anyone who posts more than 3 paragraphs about anything other than fishing on this site should be forced to spend 72 hours with nothing but KC and 5 cases of the BEAST!!!

Striper Tubes - Keels & More!!

Fishing Info
#397213 - 10/06/04 11:31 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

Nu2salt, a flat tax does not meet your objectives. The tax codes today are a redistribution of wealth, those who make more money pay more taxes, and with the alternate minimum tax, which everyone has to calculate and it applies to more and more middle class people every year, the tax burden is also graduated as you go up the income scale. That is why the rich pay most of the tax bill under personal income taxes. Having savings programs like IRAs, 401Ks, the education plans, etc. are key for folks of average means to save towards the light at the end of the tunnel. Your proposal taxes everyone and takes away the savings initiatives. You don't really want that, it is not a way to help the less fortunate trying to get ahead of the financial power curve.
#397214 - 10/06/04 11:39 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

Quote:
unsolicited politcal view.....

Anyone who posts more than 3 paragraphs about anything other than fishing on this site should be forced to spend 72 hours with nothing but KC and 5 cases of the BEAST!!!
:D \:D :p
#397215 - 10/06/04 11:40 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
CTFisher23 Offline

stop tax loopholes, go after offshoring corps,expand the IRS enforcement of tax non-payment offenders, cut spending , and cut taxes. Put Social security fund under a quasi group and out of the control of congress.
#397216 - 10/07/04 12:02 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

Madmike, great post. This shows the power of a biased media. I, for one, did not fall asleep last night and was watching multiple channels, especially right after the debate. I was channel surfing to get a feel for the "spin" various channels would put onto the debate outcome and who "won". I focused on CBS with Dan Rather and MSNBC with Chris Matthews. I could only handle two stations so I bagged Fox and CNN as offsetting messages.
Here is what I saw. CBS was shamelessly biased. Rather, who I never watch, interviewed high powered Democrats like Diane Feinstein who is as liberal a politician as they come and blasted Cheney every way she could. The republican politician was some local Ohio politician (I believe an obscure congressman from a Cleveland area district) who was not particularly articulate and was led a series of questions that boxed him into dead-ends. As an aside, Rather is no match for any of the cable station leads like Matthews who had in depth discussions with mainline anchors like Brokaw and Russert, along with his panel. In any case, it is no surprise that a CBS poll shows Edwards winning though the margin is unbelieveable and unrealistic.
MSNBC had an instant poll they reported on minutes after the debate ended and though the numbers were closer, favoring Edwards, Chris Matthews said he was surprised because he felt Cheney was the clear winner. All of the panel members agreed. Brokaw and Russert appeared to give the win to Cheney.
So how does this happen? Internet polls are unreliable because they are prone to being loaded up. We do it right here with gun control. The Coalition of Ct. Sportsmen sends out emails daily on what is happening and what gun control poll to go vote on. Political parties do the same, go load the poll with your choice. I do not believe Internet polls.
My view? I look at debates from two different perspectives. Who is the better communicator and who has the better message. Kerry was the superior communicator, was articulate and had a flow to his delivery that was only matched by Bill Clinton on his best days. I like Bush's message though because the war on terror is my most important issue. Cheney had the better message since he had facts and information to back up his positions and had command of the debate. He looked more "vice presidential" whatever that is. I was disappointed in Edwards delivery at times. He should be even better than Kerry and didn't seem to have the command of the issues that someone who is a heart-beat away from being President should have. He simply doesn't have the command presence or experience to be that high an elected official whereas, like him or not, Cheney could be President and run the government.
What will be interesting now will be to see the results of a non-internet poll like the CNN/USA Today Gallup poll where they actually call up people and conduct an interview. I believe the numbers will tighten up in that type of poll with about an even split similar to the current presidential polls.
Just my opinion and observations.
#397217 - 10/07/04 12:09 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
spin Offline

buck, Please read Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies" if the war on terror is your biggest concern. He was the terror czar in the clinton administration and was in control of the white House on the morning of September 11.
#397218 - 10/07/04 01:53 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

Spin, thanks, I am not familiar with that book but I will take a look.
#397219 - 10/07/04 02:45 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
fishbag61 Offline

Capitalists have nipples Jim, could ya milk them? :p

religious freedom is the right of each individual to attend the church of his choice, or go fishing
#397220 - 10/07/04 02:51 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
rixon529 Offline

I admit - I haven't read all 316 posts on this thread that is only 6 days old...

When I read Mitch's opening of this thread, my first thought was, "oh, man, is this going to open a bucket of worms"... Then I remembered something my dad, God rest him, shared with me when I was growing up that I would like to share.

"Never discuss politics or religion. It only comes to no good, whether with friends or family."

The other pearl of wisdom I believe I first heard from my dad in the 1960's:

"In presidential elections, you cast your vote for the lesser of two evils."

To each his own, but I hold both of these things to be true in my own mind.

Rather than read all these posts and participate in lengthy debate about who did what, I would prefer to use that time to surf the web about fishing, or clean up my tackle, or read about how to improve my fishing technique.

My choice in November will be based on what my perceptions and beliefs dictate - just like everyone else. Discussion is simply trying to sway opinions to be alike.

Just my 2ยข. :rolleyes:

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes...
#397221 - 10/07/04 03:32 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Farmy Joe Offline

Disclaimer:
The following is from the HBO show Real Time with Bill Maher. I'll remove them if anyone is offended by Mr. Maher's brand of humor. I just thought we all needed a laugh:

Page 32 of 177 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics