ctfisherman.com logo
Page 106 of 177 < 1 2 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#397952 - 10/17/04 08:07 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Baitrunner Offline

Good point, JFM. Ironic thing is, the Islamic fundementalists don't wish to destroy us because of our religious fervors, but in spite of them. They are much more in fear of our "secular humanism", which, in their view, undermines their "tunnel-visioned" Islamic view of religious life.

This irony is greatly compounded by the fact that when our European ancestors were scratching a living in the mud, burning witches, and quivering at every prouncement of the Papacy, the Moslems had a thriving, robust intelligentsia researching mathematics, science, economics, and philosophy. Somehwere, along the timelines, this has degenerated into the present Islamic extremist/anti-"Zionist"/Western craziness which is besetting the modern world.

To paint all Moslems with this broad brush is too broad an overstatement, but we are not at war with the vast, majority normal Moslems; but we are at war with the Osamas, and his allies. All of us, religious and secular, alike!

"I think, that all right-thinking people, are sick and tired of being told that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
Fishing Info
#397953 - 10/17/04 10:19 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Baitrunner:

To paint all Moslems with this broad brush is too broad an overstatement, but we are not at war with the vast, majority normal Moslems; but we are at war with the Osamas, and his allies. All of us, religious and secular, alike!
Baitrunner,

You would do well to remind Mr. Bush and his various generals of this! Bush himself and some of his generals (I'm sorry I can't remember their names, or specific remarks at this point) have made some frightening religious based comments in the last 2 years. Those are the remarks upon which I base my opinion that Bush is a religious zealot, in addition to the article above, posted by Val.

Just for the record I am not anti-Judeo/Christian, nor anti-religious, any more than I hate people with more money than me, or envy them. I am anti-anything which violates the U.S. Constitution, and thereby threatens my or anyone elses rights or freedoms. I believe religion is something one practices at home or in the church of their choice, not from the oval office, or the capitol, or the bench of the Supreme Court, and I aggressively defend the freedom from religion guaranteed me by the Constitution. Religion has no place in government, and government has no place in religion. BTW, I was raised Catholic.

There is a HUGE difference between Clinton, or Kerry, or anyone else "professing" their faith, or privately relying on it to guide them, and others trying to legislate their faith for everyone else or using it to justify war. Kerry addressed this very eloquently during the 2nd and 3rd debates when responding to questions regarding abortion and stem cell research.

Respectfully,

Jim
#397954 - 10/17/04 10:29 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
Ive heard many similar versions of this ideology from many people lately. We certainly dont need the worlds poor, tired, huddled, whatever yada-yada anymore.
Doesnt Russia produce a fair amount of oil ? Bet they would cut us a fair price until fuel cells truly come of age.
Granted, its just chatter, but it does make you think. Plus other countries do it, so it must be OK ! \:D

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
#397955 - 10/17/04 10:33 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
Nu2salt:

Your thoughts are lost in a sea of confusion. It is apparent in comments like "others trying to legislate their faith for everyone else or using it to justify war."

Maybe you outta practice some of that Catholisism and ask for a confession.

On second thought, perhaps the rights of Exorcism should be performed.

#397956 - 10/17/04 11:06 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Henry L. Offline

Val: The word liar is being thrown around alot, thanks to Howard Dean, Michael Moore and other al-Qaeda agents. If Bush took the country to war under information that was false on WMDs, then include the following on the list of liars:

-Bill Clinton for using the same info during Operation Desert Fox in which he bombed Iraq to halt WMD production.

-The CIA

-Britian's MI-6

-Russian, Egyptian, and Jordanian Intelligence

-John Kerry who looked at the same intel the President recieved and voted to go to war.

I don't think any of the above are liars. You know very well that if Bush learned that same info and did nothing, it would be the Liberal Front in this country calling for Bush to step-down.

If I told you..."Hey Val I drove by your house and saw smoke coming out of the window" you'd assume it was a fire. Then after speeding home with your family you find nothing...does that make you a liar? I provided the info I knew from observation, and you determined the action. You are not a liar.

Nu2salt: The reason I am waiting to complete my masters before entering the service is because this is my last semester. I am one of those people who can't stop my studies midway, or else I'll never finish. Instead of whining and complaining like some people out there I want to help out as much as possible whereever needed.

Do French fish flee at the sight of lures?
#397957 - 10/17/04 11:16 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Kapt Offline

Quote:
Here's a plan;

1. The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic and the rest of those 'good ole boys,' We will never "interfere" again.

2. We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there.

We would station troops at our borders. No one sneaking through holes in the fence.

3. All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whoor where they are. France would welcome them.

4. All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers. opps!

5. No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6. The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7. Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8. If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9. Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10. All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH.....learn it..or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan.

For those have been contaminated with the seriousness of ideology., it’s a joke!

Or maybe not
:D \:D \:D

ctfisherman.com...often imitated, never duplicated

T-Mans Custom Tackle - maker of the famous T-man Tubes
www.tmancustomtackle.com
#397958 - 10/17/04 11:25 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
It`s all lies you dopes, get on with your lives, unless you have enough fire power to overthrough the powers that be \:D \:D \:D ;\)

--------------------
JUST ONE MORE CAST BABY...

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#397959 - 10/18/04 12:05 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Henry,

This being your last semester, I can understand your waiting and finishing before enlisting or seeking your commission as an officer. I can also understand what you mean about finishing your degree without stopping in the middle, or risk never returning to school. I'm the same way.

Have you visited your recruiter yet? It might be a good idea to do so as soon as possible to find out what your options are and get pointed in the right direction. With your education you should definitely be looking for an officers' commission. You can do all the preliminary work in advance, so that upon completion of your degree you can immediately begin your military career.

You do not have to wait until you finish school to do so. My nephew is graduating from High School in June and is already enlisted in the Marines. He leaves for boot three days after graduation. He has been in the Army Jr. ROTC program at NBHS for the last 3 years and has undergone a great deal of training.

Last summer he went on a two week training exercise, which included rapelling from helicopters on Cape Cod. He was very excited about his experience, and got alot out of his summer manuevers.

My son is a freshman in H.S. and is also in the Jr. ROTC program, although I admittedly am trying to persuade him to apply to the USCG Acadamy, or at least look into the Air Force or Navy, and stay away from the Army or Marines. He is my youngest, and my only son. He is also my father's only grandson; my only sister has 2 girls; I have no brothers, nor paternal cousins. Like any man, I want very much for him to carry on my family name, and he is the only male offspring on my father's side, other than me.

Again, I commend you on your degree and your stated intention to serve in the military. I wish you well in both endeavors and will keep a good thought for your safety.

Respectfully,

Jim
#397960 - 10/18/04 12:07 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Baitrunner Offline

Kapt, Den, That is a pretty amusing thought. I'll add my applause to it.

GMPG, You're thoughts about russian oil are close to the mark. It is hoped by the world community that Russia will be able to get more of its oil to the world market; Lord knows, there is a demand for it.

The problem becomes not one of production, (with Western technology, the Russians produce much more efficiently, now), but of moving the oil to transit points. Baku, a major Russian production facility on the Caspian Sea, lays astride some of the most volitile Islamic insurgent areas in the world. A pipeline must run the gauntlet through, or near, Chechneya, Georgia, Azerbejan, Armenia, et al; all real hotspots. For now, it's problematic if the necessary infrastructure can even be completed, let alone secured and maintained.

Eventually, when the Russians open new fields and pipelines in Siberia, Sakhalin and off of their Pacific coast, they will be supplying the Asian market, China and Japan principally. This will free up the Middle Eastern supply for the Western world. While things may look gloomy and dire at present, there are plans in the works.

I must concur with Henri' about a salient point he made about our lack of long-term resolve and aversion to causalties. My gut instinct tells me we must steel our hearts to furthur terrorist atrocities in America; some of which may be highly catastrophic. If this should come to pass, all bets are off as to the potential American response.

In the meantime, no matter who has gets the reins of power in the US, the fight against the "Neo-Mahdists" will continue.

"I think, that all right-thinking people, are sick and tired of being told that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
#397961 - 10/18/04 12:31 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Henry,

I have called Bush a liar as well, but you only directed your reply to Val. Am I an agent of Al-Queda, Henry?

When did Clinton bomb Iraq? I am not being sarcastic nor do I doubt it for a minute, I am seriously asking a question. When did that happen? I am not certain that he did so to stop the production of WMD's, but rather may have done so in enforcing the no-fly zone, or in response to some other action by Hussein against the Kurds for example.

The problem with Bush and the intel in question was not that Bush lied about the intel that he was using to make his case. No one is suggesting that he did not have the intel he claimed to be basing his case upon. The problem is that I, and others, many others, believe that Bush influenced the information contained in that intel, that he and others knew much of the intel was outdated and inaccurate, and that he embraced it, and manipulated it, and used it to suit his purpose, and ignored any evidence or suggestion to the contrary, in order to take us prematurely into a conflict which was politically convenient for him and others. Anyone who questioned or doubted the information that he wanted to see, or who furnished any information which raised any such doubts or contradictions, was ignored or dismissed.

Kerry and others only saw the intel that Bush and the administration allowed them to see. Kerry and others did not vote to go to war, they voted to authorize the President to use force if and when other measures proved fruitless. They certainly did not vote to do so on that timetable, or under those conditions. They were under the understanding that more would be done before using force and they trusted Bush to use his authority wisely. He abused that trust and acted rashly, and we are now paying the price for his rush to war.

The difference is that you trust him and believe he has acted in good faith, while I and others disagree. I don't trust him, and I don't believe he has acted in good faith. He found evidence to support the outcome he wanted, and ignored evidence or doubts to the contrary. He failed to act in a fair and unbiased manner, to conduct a fair and unbiased investigation. I don't believe that he did not know better than what he used to make his case, and that he did not give other measures a fair opportunity to prove otherwise. I do not believe his motives are or were pure, or that he had no choice but to use force when he did.

Having grown up in the 60's I remain very skeptical of the government. Perhaps that is from growing up during the years of political assassinations, (JFK, MLK, RFK), the Vietnam War, and real political scandals and government cover-ups, like Watergate, the Iran/Contra affair, Abscam, etc., not tawdry, meaningless media smear campaigns and witch hunts, conducted for political reasons, like Whitewater and Monica-gate. I tend to be very distrustful of men like Bush, who repeatedly tell the people the sky is orange, and who take us to war, only to find out that the sky, is in fact, blue after all.
Page 106 of 177 < 1 2 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics