ctfisherman.com logo
Page 74 of 177 < 1 2 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#397632 - 10/12/04 04:59 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can appreciate your perspective, Jon A., based upon the short time you have "known" me through the board. Just so you know, I am on worker's compensation, not unemployed or disabled, and I am certainly not lazy. I am a full time employee of the State of CT DCF. I am injured from over 6 years of subduing and restraining some of the 200 worst and most violent juvenile offenders in the state, aged 12 to 17, some of whom are over 6 feet tall and weigh well over 200 pounds. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, thank you for inquiring as to the nature and extent of my injury and my prognosis. Please, don't worry yourself, I will be fine. I am waiting to hear from my Dr., who is waiting to hear from the insurance company, so that I can schedule an appointment for an epidural cortisone injection, since I am trying my best to avoid surgery. I expect to return to work by the end of this month.

When I am working, which has been the rule 99% of my life for the past 23 years, I am up at 5:30AM, my tour of duty begins at 6:45AM and concludes at 3:08PM. I often work voluntary overtime to try to make some extra money. In addition, because my postition as a Youth Services Officer is one which is hazardous duty and which is related to criminal/juvenile justice and therefore is considered by the state to be related to public safety, I am subject to being held over at work for a second tour of duty. This happens quite frequently on weekends and holidays. For example, this year I was forced on Mothers Day and New Years Eve, among many others. So unlike you my work week is seldom limited to 40 hours.

BTW, congratulations on your home being paid for at such an early age. I am sure that you worked very hard and sacrificed to make that happen. Good for you!

FYI, I am 43, I just bought my first home a little over 2 years ago. I got married when I was 20 and we had children right away. My eldest daughter just graduated from college in May, and is teaching Middle School history in inner city Houston. My second daughter will graduate from Syracuse University next May. She is graduating a year early with a double major, because she earned 21 AP credits during High School. My son is 14 and just started High School, also an honor student.

When I got married, in 1981, I earned about $4.50 per hour. My wife also worked part time when our kids were small, but we thought it was more important for her to be home with them than it was for us to earn two incomes and advance our financial status. This would have required us to put our children in daycare, like so many others, and we just did not agree with that, and did not believe it was in our children's best interest. I often worked two, sometimes three, jobs. Up until I went to work for the state and she began teaching full time, we supported our family of five on less than $30,000.00 per year for most of our lives. Judging from the way our children have turned out, we are confident we made the right choice and it was well worth the sacrifices we made.

She later ran a daycare business from our apartment to earn some extra money and still be home. We decided that she should return to college and earn her degree, so once our kids were a little older she went back to school. We put her through school, and are still paying back her loans, in addition to paying for her masters classes, cash. She is a teacher and is required by law and contract to earn a masters within 10 years of her initial certification. There is no assistance available from her employer even though it is required. BTW she earned her BA magna cum laude, as did my eldest, and my second has the highest GPA of any Syracuse English major. My wife's masters GPA is also over 3.8.

Since I could not even afford to by a house until I was 41, my house will not be paid for for some time. But all in all, if I had to do it all over again, I would make pretty much the same choices.

So you see, Jon, before you go around passing judgements and making condescending remarks about people, maybe you should get to know a little more about them. Son.
Fishing Info
#397633 - 10/12/04 05:07 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Jon A Offline
retired

I know enough. How about data entry???? Or any desk job? You don't have a problem typing... ;\)

That was a nice story, thanks for sharing. But it doesn't explain why you or anyone else can't be earning 10% saving.

retired

#397634 - 10/12/04 05:10 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2salt:
 Quote:
joh h.,

I've got a WHOLE LOT of replies coming for you, but briefly, please tell me where I can get a 10% return on my money and I will scrape every penny I can together and put it there. Hell, I've got some 3.9% credit cards, if I can get 10% I'll max them out and still make 6.1%!!

I can't WAIT to start making 10%!!!
Any retard can get an average return of 10% with an index fund. Most mutual fund companies have them. Must you be handed everything?

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#397635 - 10/12/04 05:12 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Quote:
I am a full time employee of the State of CT DCF. I am injured from over 6 years of subduing and restraining some of the 200 worst adn most violent juvenile offenders in the state, aged 12 to 17, some of whom are over 6 feet tall and weigh well over 200 pounds.
Hmmm, isn't that exactly what has been in the papers lately, what is said to be wrong with that "school" and what all the advocacy groups want cleaned up?

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#397636 - 10/12/04 05:13 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, while I am clearly qualified for such a postion, it does not pay nearly what I earn as a Y.S.O., plus as a hazardous duty employee I can retire after 20 years of state service, a benefit I am not inclined to give up. Plus, with my back the way it is right now, I can't sit for prolonged periods without becoming stiff and sore. Every so often I have to go and lay down.

But again, thank you, son, for your kind suggestion.

(Not even an "I'm sorry" or "I stand corrected" or "I guess you're right, I've misjudged you harshly"? NOTHING? \:\( C'mon, you can do better than to offer me career counseling! ;\) :p \:D )
#397637 - 10/12/04 05:14 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Quote:
Please, don't worry yourself, I will be fine. I am waiting to hear from my Dr., who is waiting to hear from the insurance company, so that I can schedule an appointment for an epidural cortisone injection, since I am trying my best to avoid surgery
I've actually been through that. When without health insurance for over a year, I paid for the injections out of pocket.

#397638 - 10/12/04 05:15 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
DEN Offline

Loc: Newington
I'll try to find more info on this, but back in the "80s", GM engineers developed a fuel management injection system implemented on a 350c.i. short block. It was designed to only deliver fuel for the demand cylinder.

The engine was tested in either an Olds or Buick. Although it was claimed to be underpowered both in hp & torque it did reveal significant efficiency in fuel consumpsion and enough power to safely propel the vehicle. That’s 20-year old technology.
I never heard anymore of that project.
#397639 - 10/12/04 05:29 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

jon h., you ignorant slut!

I may not be up on mutual funds, since I have not had the disposable income to seek them out as an investment vehicle, someday soon perhaps,

but don't you EVEN try to start making comments about my postion at CJTS! I could tell you VOLUMES about that place, and those advocacy groups you mention are the very liberals that you despise.

The problem with that facility is not the line staff. It is the bureaucracy and mismanagement from Hartford and all the do-gooder social workers and child psychologists who think that holding these kids accountable and giving them appropriate consequences is bad for them. They think we are too hard on them, and have undermined us to the point that we no longer have any control over the kids or the facility, and the kids know it and take full advantage of it.

Trust me, if you knew what I know about that place and how it is run, we would absolutely be on the same side. Those are the TRUE bleeding heart liberals that I know you have no use for. Their idea of rehabilitating those kids is what we in the facility have come to refer as "Hugs for Thugs". Whereas those of us on the line know that what they need is clear limits, strict discipline, and strong consequences for bad choices and misbehavior.

A kid can assault one of us or another kid, and we cannot keep him confined to his room beyond the period of time required to regain verbal or behavioral control. It used to be that if a kid assaulted someone he would be confined to his room for the most part for the next 3 days, except for limited periods during which, if he was compliant, he could sit in a chair by his door, or better yet, do chores around the unit. Now, we can't even make them clean!

But the social workers and psychologists came along and decided that was "punitive" and you can't use confinement to their rooms as "punishment". Only to interrupt imminently dangerous behavior. That is due in part to a law passed in '99 after one of the girls at the old Long Lane killed herself, even though she was the first successful suicide in the facility since the late 1800's.

Now, a kid who assaults someone will have only minor limits and restrictions place upon him and will be back in full population and in school the very next day. Very effective programming, wouldn't you say?

Believe me, these are the same people you were complaining about who are teaching these kids that it's never their fault, that they don't have to do anything to get everything, and how to manipulate the system.

PLEASE, DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT THE STATE AND CJTS!!!
#397640 - 10/12/04 05:37 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

"When without health insurance for over a year, I paid for the injections out of pocket."

Fortunately for me, since I was injured at work, I am covered by Worker's Comp insurance, and my personal health insurance has nothing to do with it. I'll be damned if I am going to pay out of my pocket for an injury that is covered by my employer.

So again, what is your point!
#397641 - 10/12/04 05:43 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

"That was a nice story, thanks for sharing. But it doesn't explain why you or anyone else can't be earning 10% saving."

Once again illustrating exactly how out of touch you all are with the 70% of the people in this country who don't live as well as you and I do.

To this day, I still don't have enough money to invest in mutual funds and stocks and such. I'm doing all I can just to keep my head above water. It's been a long road, and I've come a long way. It's just too easy for some, and just too hard for others, and it doesn't have to be that way.

Like I keep saying, WE CAN DO BETTER! But it's gonna cost those at the very top a few bucks, and I think it would be well worth it.
Page 74 of 177 < 1 2 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics