ctfisherman.com logo
Page 115 of 177 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 117 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#398042 - 10/19/04 01:45 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

K.C., near me, I have a bow permit there. Used to have a gun permit but the Democrats took all my guns.
Fishing Info
#398043 - 10/19/04 01:46 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

jon - Have you served in the US Military?, I have, I know what its like to sacrifice ones time by signing on the dotted line, the military does not give metals haphazardously, I am also a gun owner/hunter etc., John Kerry has my vote!!!

George Bush has way to many corporate ties and a very sadistic pro polluter record that wants to change the clean water act, clean air laws, drill in public lands, reverse the clinton roadless rule etc etc etc.

Just stop your pro Rebulican attitude and vote 4 a person who is good for this country. Also all that swiftboat stuff belongs in the crapper. You believe that stuff.... give me a break! Also I quess Michael Moore faked all thase sceens with the W and the Saudis in Farenhight 911. FACE IT GEORGE W BUSH IS A CORPORATE LAP DOG WHO HATE ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS. Please see the truth not this republican crap.
#398044 - 10/19/04 02:00 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buck and Val,

There are far more important issues involved in this election than the candidates' respective military service. That was more than 30 years ago! Are you the same person you were 30 years ago? I was 13 years old, 30 years ago!

Val, In Buck's defense, I find it odd that Kerry got out so early, and won't release his records. If he got an honorable discharge, he would have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so.

However, if he got out on a discharge which was other than honorable, (general, less than, or dis) SOLELY BECAUSE HE INTENDED TO PROTEST THE WAR, then in my mind that is strictly a technicality, a result of his political and moral convictions, and again I, MYSELF, will not condemn him for that.

Buck, In Val's defense, as I said, Bush's military service is surrounded in so much dispute and contraversy, about his attendance, his not taking his physicals, etc., that there is no way I can believe for one minute that he did not shirk his responsibilities and actually fulfilled all of his duties. I tend to believe that he most likely played it fast and loose and got away with it because of his family and their wealth and that THAT is why and how he got an honorable discharge.

Now, let me ask you this; which is worse:

A. A man who serves overseas, under enemy fire, for four months, comes home, resigns his commission, accepts a discharge which is other than honorable as a result of his moral and political convictions, and goes on to protest what he sees as an unjust, immoral, and unwinnable war-

OR

B. A man who uses his family's privilege and influence to get a stateside PART TIME post for 6 years, which more than half the time he doesn't show up for, fails to fulfill his obligations to the Air Guard, and then further uses his wealth and privilege to get away with doing so, and to get an honorable discharge that he doesn't deserve?

Buck posted:
"By the way, the logic flow is "Kerry served in Vietnam, it is well documented and witnessed, but it does not mean he received an honorable discharge." The two events are mutually exclusive and unrelated."

Buck, I believe you have misspoken here; saying something is mutually exclusive means that if one happened then it is impossible for the other to have happened. In this context you would be saying that if Kerry served in Vietnam there is no way that he got an honorable discharge and vice versa. And his discharge is clealy not unrelated to his service overseas.

However, I understand what you are saying, and I agree.

"Just because Kerry served overseas does not necessarily mean he got an honorable discharge."

Your statement is correct, but saying the two are mutually exclusive and unrelated is not.

Buck also posted:

"These sections of the Code refer to the grounds for involuntary separation from the service. So it appears that Kerry either involuntarily separated from the service himself by resigning his commission prior to 1972 or was involuntarily separated from the service by the Navy for cause prior to 1972 and in either case the separation was "less than honorable"."

Typically, an INVOLUNTARY SEPARATION does not include a RESIGNATION. Typically, involuntary separation means being fired or terminated against the wishes of the party in question. If one RESIGNS, that is a VOLUNTARY separation, not INVOLUNTARY.

I don't know where that fits into this context. Perhaps Kerry was TERMINATED for his anti-war activities?

If so, like I said, I will not condemn him for that, regardless of what type of discharge he received as a result. Unless he was TERMINATED for some OTHER misconduct or insubordination, OTHER than protesting the war, I don't see where it has anything to do with his military service or record, and LESS to do with his candidacy or fitness to be President.

Again, I feel that this point of discussion is MOOT because there are so many more important aspects of this election and what is at stake.

My deepest respect to both of you,

Jim
#398045 - 10/19/04 02:03 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck:
...... the Democrats took all my guns.
Buck: For ONCE I don't believe you! ;\)
#398046 - 10/19/04 02:04 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bowarrows,

Very well said! Thanks for weighing in!

Jim
#398047 - 10/19/04 02:22 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

Nu2salt, I have said that I have been astounded that Kerry would make his Vietman record a center piece of his early campaign and allow his campaign to bash Bush's service. That is how all of this started. I would be very happy to let sleeping dogs lie on both candidate's military record. I would rather be on the hunting thread. It was over 30 years ago and people change but once it came up there were a lot of holes in both campaigns that politicians wanted to fill and as a vet with knowledge about how this stuff works I couldn't help myself.
Anyway, there are other issues to debate and not much more to add to this issue. For instance, I have watched a few mid-west focus groups and the common Kerry negative is gun control, trust and confidence, and the terror threat. You would think that social issues and the economy would be more in people's mind.
I have no idea how this election will turn out but it is more Kerry's to lose than Bush's to win. If the Democrats had a candidate who could debate like Kerry and was moderate in scope, with a moderate platform, they would win hands down. If they lose the single biggest issue will be gun control just the same way Gore lost important states including his home state of Tennessee. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
#398048 - 10/19/04 02:22 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jon h.:

John Kerry Wants to Ban Guns in America

Jon,

First, this is yet ANOTHER prime example, posted by YOU, of right wing scare tactics. Like "You'll have less under sKerry."

Saying Kerry wants to ban guns altogether based upon that voting record is a stretch to say the least.

Second, even if that was what he wanted, he's not gonna get it! There are 535 reps in Congress, 9 Supreme Court justices, and all of us out here that stand between him and a complete ban of all firearms.

Please, this alarmist rhetoric and these gross exaggerations are ludicrous!

I posted my postion on the Second Amendmant and gun control some pages back. I cherish and defend my rights under the Second, but I understand there is a legitimate interest in public safety which requires certain limits and regulation where firearms are concerned. Somehow a delicate balance must be achieved and maintained.

Respectfully,

Jim
#398049 - 10/19/04 02:26 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Quote:
Originally posted by Bowarrows:
jon - Have you served in the US Military?, I have, I know what its like to sacrifice ones time by signing on the dotted line, the military does not give metals haphazardously, I am also a gun owner/hunter etc., John Kerry has my vote!!!

George Bush has way to many corporate ties and a very sadistic pro polluter record that wants to change the clean water act, clean air laws, drill in public lands, reverse the clinton roadless rule etc etc etc.

Just stop your pro Rebulican attitude and vote 4 a person who is good for this country. Also all that swiftboat stuff belongs in the crapper. You believe that stuff.... give me a break! Also I quess Michael Moore faked all thase sceens with the W and the Saudis in Farenhight 911. FACE IT GEORGE W BUSH IS A CORPORATE LAP DOG WHO HATE ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS. Please see the truth not this republican crap.
Bowhunter, please show me how pollution has INCREASED during the last 4 years. You can't because its not true. I cannot believe you actually credit Michael Moore with anything. Our economy is based on oil, whether tou like it or not. If Kerry were to win, he will ahve to make nice-nice with the Saudis too. BTW are you suggesting the FJK has no corporate ties, please.

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#398050 - 10/19/04 02:29 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Kerry had to run on his record in Vietnam. His Vietnam record, which sucks, is still better than his 20 year record as a US Senator. Too bad the Swift Vote Vets knocked his campaign out, decisively.

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#398051 - 10/19/04 02:32 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buck,

I hear what you are saying. I agree that Kerry's military record was frought with too many potential liabilities and should not have been a center piece of his campaign. He opened this door and invited this type of scrutiny and his record is not so solid as to withstand such examination. I understand how it all started, and why as a vet it struck so near to you, and you obviously have a great deal of insight and information. (You sound alot like my father when he talks about the military, the forms, procedures and such! He was in the Army from '57 to '60.) As I said you have made some valid points.

I would hope you are wrong about gun control being a deciding factor in this election, but concede you may be right. I don't think Kerry is as weak on this issue as has been portrayed, but recognize that it is also clearly not one of his strengths. I would think that Iraq, the war on terror, and our domestic economic situation would be the most important issues at stake. I know they are for me.

Anyway, thank you for your input on the military issue, and thank you for your reply. Nice chatting with you again.

Regards,

Jim
Page 115 of 177 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 117 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics