ctfisherman.com logo
Page 122 of 177 < 1 2 ... 120 121 122 123 124 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#398112 - 10/20/04 12:37 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Henry L posted:

"--I did not like your exclusion of John From Madison as a 'gentleman.'"

First, WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYONE'S SENSE OF HUMOR??? I was only teasing him a little, good naturedly!! I forgot to put a little smiley face there, I used them all up! OK, I'll edit the post and put a little smiley face there!

Second, WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU, HENRY, WHEN JFM WAS INSULTING THE S**T OUTTA ME AND VAL?! You never said ONE WORD to HIM about chivalry! Typical one sided right wing standards! He can say whatever he wants, but if I should give it back to him, you come out in his defense! \:o

Just like the way those of you on the right complain about us "whiney, hypersensitive, PC liberals" who complain about the right saying things which offend people when you're only speaking the "truth", and are absolutely "correct", but when Kerry mentions that Cheney's daughter is a lesbian, in the context of a question about homosexuality, everyone acts like he broke wind in church or something! :rolleyes:

Third, Respect and chivalry are reserved for those who demonstrate them to others, like Buck, or Bill Uconn, or YOU, or so many others that I have debated and disagreed respectfully with here! I replied to JFM and Jon h in a manner consistent with the way THEY reply to me and others. Respect and chivalry has to be EARNED! If that is what they expect, then that is how they should treat and address others. Otherwise I am under no obligation to be respectful and chivalrous to them! \:o

I have stood up for and defended others on the board, even JFM, even against Spunfisher and Val, when I thought someone made a remark that was out of bounds or out of line. How dare you lecture ME about chivalry while turning a blind eye to JFM's repeated baiting and condescending, insulting, and disrespectful comments. \:o

Please Henry, at least try to be consistent and unbiased. You are much smarter than that, and being inconsistent undermines your credibility!

BTW, I happen to be OVER my hostility towards JFM, I have sent him a concilitory PM, and I was only joking and teasing him with the "gentlemen" jab. I was trying to lighten up the tone, even as he has continued to disparage me and Val and anyone else he disagrees with.

Sincerely,

Jim
Fishing Info
#398113 - 10/20/04 01:09 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Henry,

It appears you may have missed this post while you were working on your paper. I thought it was apropos, and that you should see it:

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2salt:
 Quote:
Originally posted by John from Madison CT:

I still want to know why you are so pissed at the "system". In what aspect of your life are you mad at society or feel left behind?

Personally, I think there's something you're not telling us about yourself........eh Comrade??
Is this the only debate tactic you know? Insult and belittle your opponent, and try to make the discussion about something about them personally ?

Can't you offer some facts, or try to counter their arguments with a logical argument of your own, or simply disagree respectfully, or voice an opposing position, without making it something personal?

You really need some new material! You're incredibly limited and pathetic! Your education really IS wasted on you!

(And your spelling SUCKS! It's Catholicism, not Catholisism; zealot, not zeolot; ought to, not outta. So much for higher education! You know what BS, MS, and PHD stand for? Bull****, More****, and Piled Higher and Deeper!)
#398114 - 10/20/04 01:12 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Henry,

And this one, too:

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2salt:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin B:
People should stick to the issues.
Kevin, you mean stick to the issues like this?:

"Comrade Val:
I do know that you have a very good grasp of the cut and paste function of Microsoft Windows. For that, you deserve credit and praise.
I still want to know why you are so pissed at the "system". In what aspect of your life are you mad at society or feel left behind?
Personally, I think there's something you're not telling us about yourself........eh Comrade??"

"...what an idiotic statement."

"Nu2salt:
Your thoughts are lost in a sea of confusion.
Maybe you outta practice some of that Catholisism and ask for a confession.
On second thought, perhaps the rights of Exorcism should be performed."

"Comrade Val: Really.......with what is your gripe?"

"Comrade Val: Why are you so angry?"

"Val is part of the "Hate America First" crowd. No matter what, it's our fault."

"Comrade Val:
Do you realize that no one reads your posts.
Man.....cutting and pasting any off the wall story or article you can find on the internet ain't no way to win an argument.
To me...it shows a lack of personal knowledge of the topic."

"Nu2Salt: You just explained ALOT to me as to why you have leftist leanings.
I knew it had a core or a source, which comes out of anger. Anger toward the "system" or the "man".
Sorry, but as a State employee who can retire after 20 years, you are NOT in the real world.
What level of education have you attained?
I knew it...I knew it. Makes sense to me now."

"Nu2Salt:
Your hostility toward the "establishment", which you seem to think are the conservatives, comes from what you perceive to be a gross inadequacy in your life. You're mad at those who "have", but deep down, mad at yourself for not acheiving better in your life.
Perhaps you'd be less hostile if you finished college and didn't have to be "kicked", "punched" , "spit at", etc etc etc.."

"Nu2Salt:
There are various medications that can calm you. Prozac and drugs similar to that would help your hostility and anger. You need to get it under control, otherwise, you will continue to think unclearly.
FWIW, my Minor degree was Psych., so I am aware of aggressive behavior and hostility, manifested in Political dribble and a hatred for a certain "class" of people.
Your distaste for those who've worked hard and attained something in life shows that you are not happy with your own success, or lack thereof. For that, I am sorry. Only you can make yourself feel better with where you are in life.
I can assure you though, that rambling about the "haves vs. have-nots" will not help you attain any internal peace. My condolensces."

"Nu2Salt: Alas, you're anger at those with means continues to be apparent. You are obviously not a free market economist."

"I believe you are part of the "hate America first crowd".

"Holy Cow, you are truely a Communist."

"I didn't call Nu2salt a Communist"

I'm sure I could find more if I looked further. But I'm sure I've made my point.

If you continue to bait and insult people, you've got to expect to get it back. Turnabout IS fair play! What goes around DOES come around. And if you can't stand the heat you really SHOULD stay off the stove.

Nevertheless, the remark in question TRULY was not made in a hurtful or offensive spirit, I was just kidding and trying to take the edge off of all the other crap that has gone on.

Again, I apologize to JFM and anyone else who was offended by that or took me wrong.

Peace!

Sincerely,

Jim
#398115 - 10/20/04 01:50 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Catch N Release Offline

This is a great web site on how Florida is trying to make this year's election as fair as possible.
Good stuff

http://www.wearabledissent.com/101/floridavote.html
#398116 - 10/20/04 02:21 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is another October surprize and this will blow your mind. \:o

The 9/11 Secret in the CIA\'s Back Pocket

ROBERT SCHEER
The 9/11 Secret in the CIA's Back Pocket
The agency is withholding a damning report that points at senior officials.
Robert Scheer

October 19, 2004

It is shocking: The Bush administration is suppressing a CIA report on 9/11 until after the election, and this one names names. Although the report by the inspector general's office of the CIA was completed in June, it has not been made available to the congressional intelligence committees that mandated the study almost two years ago.

"It is infuriating that a report which shows that high-level people were not doing their jobs in a satisfactory manner before 9/11 is being suppressed," an intelligence official who has read the report told me, adding that "the report is potentially very embarrassing for the administration, because it makes it look like they weren't interested in terrorism before 9/11, or in holding people in the government responsible afterward."

When I asked about the report, Rep. Jane Harman (D-Venice), ranking Democratic member of the House Intelligence Committee, said she and committee Chairman Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.) sent a letter 14 days ago asking for it to be delivered. "We believe that the CIA has been told not to distribute the report," she said. "We are very concerned."

According to the intelligence official, who spoke to me on condition of anonymity, release of the report, which represents an exhaustive 17-month investigation by an 11-member team within the agency, has been "stalled." First by acting CIA Director John McLaughlin and now by Porter J. Goss, the former Republican House member (and chairman of the Intelligence Committee) who recently was appointed CIA chief by President Bush.

The official stressed that the report was more blunt and more specific than the earlier bipartisan reports produced by the Bush-appointed Sept. 11 commission and Congress.

"What all the other reports on 9/11 did not do is point the finger at individuals, and give the how and what of their responsibility. This report does that," said the intelligence official. "The report found very senior-level officials responsible."

By law, the only legitimate reason the CIA director has for holding back such a report is national security. Yet neither Goss nor McLaughlin has invoked national security as an explanation for not delivering the report to Congress.

"It surely does not involve issues of national security," said the intelligence official.

"The agency directorate is basically sitting on the report until after the election," the official continued. "No previous director of CIA has ever tried to stop the inspector general from releasing a report to the Congress, in this case a report requested by Congress."

None of this should surprise us given the Bush administration's great determination since 9/11 to resist any serious investigation into how the security of this nation was so easily breached. In Bush's much ballyhooed war on terror, ignorance has been bliss.

The president fought against the creation of the Sept. 11 commission, for example, agreeing only after enormous political pressure was applied by a grass-roots movement led by the families of those slain.

And then Bush refused to testify to the commission under oath, or on the record. Instead he deigned only to chat with the commission members, with Vice President Dick Cheney present, in a White House meeting in which commission members were not allowed to take notes. All in all, strange behavior for a man who seeks reelection to the top office in the land based on his handling of the so-called war on terror.

In September, the New York Times reported that several family members met with Goss privately to demand the release of the CIA inspector general's report. "Three thousand people were killed on 9/11, and no one has been held accountable," 9/11 widow Kristen Breitweiser told the paper.

The failure to furnish the report to Congress, said Harman, "fuels the perception that no one is being held accountable. It is unacceptable that we don't have [the report]; it not only disrespects Congress but it disrespects the American people."

The stonewalling by the Bush administration and the failure of Congress to gain release of the report have, said the intelligence source, "led the management of the CIA to believe it can engage in a cover-up with impunity. Unless the public demands an accounting, the administration and CIA's leadership will have won and the nation will have lost."
#398117 - 10/20/04 02:30 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
gerg Offline

Personally, I don't think all, or even most, republicans (or democrats for that matter) are out to steal anything from anyone. However, there is that layer of slime at the bottom of the barrel that is seriously lacking in values. In some cases they are fairly highly placed and hold considerable power and influence.

They don't seem to hold to any principle outside of winning at any cost.

That cost unfortunatley is democracy, and it is incumbant on rational people from both parties to recognize it and stamp it out whenever and wherever it is seen.

It is far too convenient to say it never happened (and I'm still waiting for a refutation of the incidents I sited) and simply let others do the dirty work just because it benefits your side.

If you really value the principles of the constitution, and of this country, then don't just go along with the election abuses that are blatently occurring. Let your party know it is unnaceptable.

Besides, does anyone really believe that another contested election is really in anyones best interests, regardless of who ends up the winner?

Well behaved boats rarely make history.....
#398118 - 10/20/04 02:53 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Buck Offline

Den, thanks for posting the entire Ron Suskind article. I don't spend much time on cut and paste excerpts from any kind of article because it is too easy to take something out of context and create a misleading message.
That said, here are some "reality-based" thoughts:
--Suskind is the author of a book he is promoting.
--Suskind writes for the NY Times, a left wing liberal news media outlet.
--The article is written to appeal to those inclined to vote for Kerry or to persuade undecided voters to vote for Kerry.
--This type of article could be written for any sitting president or presidential candidate and postured in a negative way.
--A right wing conservative media outlet could write a similarly disparaging article about Kerry and his extreme left wing liberal positions and they probably have done so many times already.
--Both parties are hostage to extreme portions of their parties which leaves out the "silent majority" represented by moderates in both parties.
--The article, in general, if written a bit more objectively, would be viewed as a positive article by voters in the south, the middle of the country, Reagan Democrats and most moderates.
--The article plays to its audience, the east and west coasts and hard core liberals. It is slanted to promote the election of John Kerry.
--The media is not to be trusted. It is the age of misinformatinon, promoting agendas, and forcing personal opinions on others. Both sides are guilty of this.
--You are responsible for creating your own brand of truth and justice. You can't count on anyone else. If you believe Ron Suskind then you are voting the way this author wants you to vote. If you happen to agree with him anyway, no harm no foul but if you are looking for "reality-based" information then this is no more reality-based than something from Ann Coulter.
#398119 - 10/20/04 04:02 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buck,

You are absolutely correct that such an article is not without bias. Further, you are absolutely correct when you point out that articles of the same nature are written by the other side, about Kerry, also with a bias, and to attempt to persuade the reader to vote for Bush. It is up to the individual voter, then, to digest each of the various articles available, from both sides, and all other pertinent information available, and draw their own conclusions, which I also hear you saying, very clearly.

Speaking for myself, I am one of those who happen to agree with Suskind anyway, so in my case, no harm, no foul. I have held this opinion ever since Bush turned his attention to Iraq. Up until then he had my support for his response to 9/11, and the subsequent invasion of Afghansistan, although I never supported his domestic and economic initiatives, always believing that he was working for the wealthy, not for the vast majority of America.

I understand your point about the article being no more reality based than any article by Ann Coulter. However, I happen to disagree with Coulter's "reality" and agree with Suskind's. IMHO, the empirical and anecdotal evidence in this case clearly supports Suskind's assertions, and his version of "reality".

The fact that some may see positives in this article, while true, is quite frightening. IMHO, they are also victims of, and blinded by, that unshakeable, irrational, and unreasonable "faith", even in the face of overwhelming empirical and anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Again, you are correct in your assertion that it is up to each of us to gather and digest as much information as we can, decide for ourselves what we believe and what we do not believe, what is "reality" and what is not "reality", and attempt to make the best choice we can make according to our own beliefs.

My choice is made, and has been for some time now, not based upon "faith", but rather based upon my interpretation and understanding of the facts and "realities" facing us today. I did not vote for Bush in 2000, and IMHO he has not proven me wrong, or earned my vote in the last four years. Therefore, I will cast my vote for John Kerry on November 2nd.

Respectfully,

Jim
#398120 - 10/20/04 06:03 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
CTFisher23 Offline

I still think people should stick to the topics at hand, I know the insults come from both sides, but everyone would be better served sticking to the issues, everything else is off topic. But thats just me, a huge fan of old school paleo-con patricians \:D But I should know better than being a ref in a pissing match, because at some point the ref always gets wet. ;\)
#398121 - 10/20/04 06:45 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
If you happen to agree with him anyway, no harm no foul but if you are looking for "reality-based" information then this is no more reality-based than something from Ann Coulter.
Buck, I respectfully disagree. Your comparing Suskind's journalistic standards to Ann Coulter's is as intellectually honest as when you compared Kerry's military service to Bush's.

Let me disabuse you of you weird notion of "ideology-based" truth (with all due respect).

-----------------------------------------------
Kerry served in Vietnam under fire; who cares for how long , what discharge he received, and what he did after he served.

Bush was AWOL from the Champaign unit of the National Guard, safely away from combat. All he risked was the lives of other soldiers who served in his place. (He continues bravely sacrificing lives of American soldiers as President). Period, end discussion.
--------------------------------------------------

Ron Suskind is one of the most respected political writers alive. Yes, he is Liberal. I am yet to meet a writer who is completely politically neutered.

Ann Coulter is a an empty-headed bimbo and a horrifying lying self serving megawhore (along with Rush, Sean and Bill). If she ever says one word of truth her head is going to explode. Period, end discussion.

It is like comparing the Great Canyon to the a$$hole because both are defined as "a depression hollowed out of solid matter". \:o
Page 122 of 177 < 1 2 ... 120 121 122 123 124 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics