ctfisherman.com logo
Page 169 of 177 < 1 2 ... 167 168 169 170 171 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#398582 - 11/03/04 07:17 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

At BAT: the matter is under advisement
Fishing Info
#398583 - 11/03/04 10:08 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
OK, I'm in Texas now and the atmosphere is great. People love "W" down here.

Some comments:

1. Bush won the popular vote. (over 50%). First time since his dad did it in 1988.

2. Morality was the most important reason people voted for Bush. Not the economy, terrorism, jobs....but Morality. Something the not one single political expert predicted.

3. The country has moved to the Right very nicely, gaining several seats in both the House and Senate. This is HUGE for us Conservatives, especially since several Supreme Court appointments may be at stake. I can't believe the Republicans have 55 seats in the Senate. Man...that makes me so happy.

4. That jerk Tom Daschale got booted out. He was a real mean spirited Senator and this country is better off without him. (for many reasons)

5. This country is soundly against Gay Marriage. Despite what the Media tell us, this country, at heart is conservative and has a strong opinion on this issue.

6. Exit polls are crap. They had Kerry up big early on.

7. Zogby's stock went WAY WAY down. He knows no more than any pollster.

8. Veterans voted for Bush 60/40 !!! So much for Kerry's term in Vietman.

9. People over 60 years old voted for Bush 53/46. So much for the Liberals scaring the elderly.

10. Young voters didn't come out in any greater #'s this election vs. the last. So much for "Rock the Vote" and P Ditty.

11. Those who go to church voted for Bush 60/40.

12. Married people voted for Bush 58/42.

13. High School and College Grads voted for Bush by 52/48.

14. I'm so freaking happy. I guess I didn't need to point that out though.

John

#398584 - 11/03/04 10:15 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
MikeG Offline

Loc: NW CT
Thank you all for caring enough to speak up and support the greatest nation on earth !!!
#398585 - 11/04/04 01:30 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
FLAG-UP Offline

Well we can look on the bright side if there is one.We'll have four more years of bushisms to laugh at.On a more serious note,I wasnt sad to see daschle go.His politics as well as many of his collegues on BOTH sides of the aisle are obstructionist and very counter productive.We need to get rid of a few more.Maybe in 08 we'll see a really decent race between Hillary Clinton and John McCain.It will be a tough choice.
#398586 - 11/04/04 01:54 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
CTFisher23 Offline

yea, 2004 was the year of the idiots, the Bo-sox won the world series and Bush won the Whitehouse.
#398587 - 11/04/04 02:13 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
fishbag61 Offline

At last the election is done
And indeed Dubya has won
But oh what a fight
From the left and the right
Still, this thread was oodles of fun! \:D

religious freedom is the right of each individual to attend the church of his choice, or go fishing
#398588 - 11/04/04 02:20 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Baitrunner Offline

Flagger, conventional wisdom, including my own, has Hillary as the presumptive Dem nominee in '08. How this will play out with an electorate seemingly yearning for more moderate Democrats, remains to be seen. Same old, same old, probably won't past muster.

If the new Senator from Colorado, Salazar, is as moderate/conservative as he lays claim to be; he may have a shot if he proves himself centrist. As a Hispanic he could have the mass appeal, although at this time, less than 24 hours post-"game", it is all conjecture.

A Hillary Clinton, moving to the center for the election, just sets the Dem's up for more of the same.

Fishie, Yer a poet! Do ya' know it? ;\)

My off the cuff contribution:

There once was a man from the Mass
Who had oddles and oddles of cash
Still, he came from the left
And was viewed as bereft
So Bushie kicked him in the azz!

"I think, that all right-thinking people, are sick and tired of being told that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
#398589 - 11/04/04 02:37 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Joe.G Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John from Madison CT:
OK, I'm in Texas now and the atmosphere is great. People love "W" down here.

Some comments:

1. Bush won the popular vote. (over 50%). First time since his dad did it in 1988.

2. Morality was the most important reason people voted for Bush. Not the economy, terrorism, jobs....but Morality. Something the not one single political expert predicted.

3. The country has moved to the Right very nicely, gaining several seats in both the House and Senate. This is HUGE for us Conservatives, especially since several Supreme Court appointments may be at stake. I can't believe the Republicans have 55 seats in the Senate. Man...that makes me so happy.

4. That jerk Tom Daschale got booted out. He was a real mean spirited Senator and this country is better off without him. (for many reasons)

5. This country is soundly against Gay Marriage. Despite what the Media tell us, this country, at heart is conservative and has a strong opinion on this issue.

6. Exit polls are crap. They had Kerry up big early on.

7. Zogby's stock went WAY WAY down. He knows no more than any pollster.

8. Veterans voted for Bush 60/40 !!! So much for Kerry's term in Vietman.

9. People over 60 years old voted for Bush 53/46. So much for the Liberals scaring the elderly.

10. Young voters didn't come out in any greater #'s this election vs. the last. So much for "Rock the Vote" and P Ditty.

11. Those who go to church voted for Bush 60/40.

12. Married people voted for Bush 58/42.

13. High School and College Grads voted for Bush by 52/48.

14. I'm so freaking happy. I guess I didn't need to point that out though.

John
Ah yes but the Yankee empire falls...lol...

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

#398590 - 11/04/04 02:42 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
DEN Offline

Loc: Newington
Well, here's his golden opportunity. Let's hope he knows how to use a little diplomacy to benefit from the renewed offerings, without Cheney's influence.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Europe Allies Extend Olive Branch to Bush

15 minutes ago
Add to My Yahoo! Europe - AP

By JOHN LEICESTER, Associated Press Writer

PARIS - European allies alienated by President Bush (news - web sites)'s first four years in power offered Wednesday to let bygones be bygones, saying they want to work with the new administration and seeking, right from Day 1, to get the new White House to listen more to overseas opinion.

French President Jacques Chirac, in a congratulatory letter, said he hoped Bush's second term "will be the occasion for strengthening the French-American friendship."

"We will be unable to find satisfying responses to the numerous challenges that confront us today without a close trans-Atlantic partnership," wrote Chirac. He addressed the letter to "Dear George."

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who also clashed with Bush over Iraq (news - web sites), wrote the president a congratulatory letter expressing "great expectations" for renewed cooperation.

"The world stands before great challenges at the beginning of your second term: international terrorism, the danger of weapons of mass destruction, regional crises — but also poverty, climate change and epidemics threaten our security and stability," Schroeder wrote. "These challenges can only be mastered together."

Another critic of the Iraq war, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said his government wants "a relationship of efficient, constructive cooperation with the U.S. government and with President Bush, respecting the ideas of each side."

Zapatero, who angered Washington by withdrawing Spanish troops from Iraq, stayed up most of the night to watch as Republican red crept across the U.S. electoral map.

Election interest in Europe was intense, as was the disappointment many felt over Bush's victory. Some saw it as proof that Europe and the United States are farther apart than ever.

"There is a major and lasting lack of understanding between the American people and the rest of the world, in both directions," said Hubert Vedrine, a former French foreign minister. "Almost all nations, with perhaps three or four exceptions, wanted change."

Others worried that Bush, strengthened by a bigger win than in 2000 and backed by a Republican Congress, would turn a deaf ear to world concerns.

"Europe will continue to criticize Bush the same way as earlier," said Swedish Prime Minister Goeran Persson. "But I do not believe that he will be more willing to listen."

Bush allies in the war on terror took comfort in continuity.

"From our point of view, the Bush administration is a known quantity," said Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer. "We've had a very good relationship with them for the last four years and I'm sure we'll be able to keep building on that over the next four."

Russian President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) said a Bush victory would mean the American people had not given in to terrorist threats.

"I would feel happy that the American people have not allowed themselves to be scared and made the decision they considered reasonable," Putin said at a Kremlin news conference.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) pledged to work with Bush in the war on terrorism and in revitalizing the Middle East peace process, and called on Europe and the United States to "build anew their alliance" after strains created by the Iraq war.

"A world that is fractured, divided and uncertain must be brought together to fight this global terrorism in all its forms and to recognize that it will not be defeated by military might alone but also by demonstrating the strength of our common values, by bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq as we have done to Afghanistan (news - web sites), by pursuing with the same energy peace in the Middle East between Israel and Palestine," Blair said.

But even among these supporters, there were appeals for Bush to work on healing the trans-Atlantic rift.

"It is not natural to have — maybe not a cold war — but, in any case, a chilling of relations along theses lines," said Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka. "I hope that European leaders and President Bush will show initiative in this area."

Hungary, meanwhile, announced it would withdraw its 300 non-combat troops from Iraq by the end of March. Its government has been under mounting pressure from citizens and opposition parties who object to the soldiers' presence.

Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski said Wednesday he was glad his ally had won a new mandate that would promise to bring progress in the fight against terrorism. Poland is a key U.S. ally in Iraq, where it commands a 15-nation security force.

An ailing Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) congratulated Bush and expressed hope that a second term would help give a new spark to the Middle East peace process, an aide to the Palestinian leader said.

Arafat "declares the readiness of the Palestinian leadership to cooperate and work with (Bush) to resume political efforts to bring about peace and the establishment of a Palestinian state based on the president's vision" in the road map, Arafat aide Mohammed Rashid said.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites)'s top adviser, Raanan Gissin, called Bush's re-election a victory for a "relentless fight against terrorism."

South Korea (news - web sites) pledged to work more closely with the next Bush administration to peacefully resolve a dispute over North Korea (news - web sites)'s nuclear weapons program.

"The government hopes that the second term of the Bush administration will continue to cooperate with its allies to secure peace and prosperity in the world including on the Korean Peninsula," the presidential office said in a statement.

Chinese President Hu Jintao said Beijing looked forward to promoting "constructive cooperative relations" with Washington. China opposed the war in Iraq and most Chinese said they were against Bush's re-election.

Leaders from nations throughout Latin American and the Caribbean expressed willingness to work closely with the White House, despite near-universal public opposition to the Iraq war and concerns about U.S. trade policy.

Even Venezuela, whose government has openly criticized the Bush administration, said it wanted to reverse tense and often angry relations with the United States.

"We won't see the United States as an enemy, as an adversary, but as a very important country in the region with which Venezuela has extraordinary relations in terms of petroleum, in terms of the war on drugs," Venezuelan Vice President Jose Vicente said.

Aides to President Hugo Chavez said the populist leader would continue to speak out against the war in Iraq and would keep fighting "against imperialism."

But Cuba's state television said Bush won the presidency by manipulating voters' fears of future terrorist attacks. On Wednesday's edition of the island's nightly televised "Mesa Redonda" discussion program, host Randy Alonso said Bush's win was due to a successful strategy "to cultivate fear among (U.S.) citizens" and "present himself as the great leader of the fight against terrorism."

Though U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) congratulated Bush, U.N. rank and file were less sanguine. The relationship between the world body and its most influential member sank to a new low over Iraq.
#398591 - 11/04/04 03:37 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Shwizzdogg Offline

I thought this was a funny article:

Unhappy Democrats Need to Wait to Get Into Canada
By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Disgruntled Democrats seeking a safe Canadian haven after President Bush won Tuesday's election should not pack their bags just yet.

Canadian officials made clear on Wednesday that any U.S. citizens so fed up with Bush that they want to make a fresh start up north would have to stand in line like any other would-be immigrants -- a wait that can take up to a year.

"You just can't come into Canada and say 'I'm going to stay here'. In other words, there has to be an application. There has to be a reason why the person is coming to Canada," said immigration ministry spokeswoman Maria Iadinardi.

There are anywhere from 600,000 to a million Americans living in Canada, a country that leans more to the left than the United States and has traditionally favored the Democrats over the Republicans.

But recent statistics show a gradual decline in U.S. citizens coming to work in Canada, which has a creaking publicly funded healthcare system and relatively high levels of personal taxation.

Government officials, real estate brokers and Democrat activists said that while some Americans might talk about a move to Canada rather than living with a new Bush administration, they did not expect a mass influx.

"It's one thing to say 'I'm leaving for Canada' and quite another to actually find a job here and wonder about where you're going to live and where the children are going to go to school," said one government official.

Roger King of the Toronto-based Democrats Abroad group said he had heard nothing to back up talk of a possible exodus of party members.

"I imagine most committed Democrats will want to stay in the United States and continue being politically active there," he told Reuters.

Americans seeking to immigrate can apply to become permanent citizens of Canada, a process that often takes a year. Becoming a full citizen takes a further three years.

The other main way to move north on a long-term basis is to find a job, which in all cases requires a work permit. This takes from four to six months to come through.

Official statistics show the number of U.S. workers entering Canada dropped to 15,789 in 2002 from 21,627 in 2000. Early indicators on Wednesday showed little sign of this changing.
A spokesman for Canada's foreign affairs ministry said there had been no increase in the number of hits on the Washington embassy's immigration Web site, while housing brokers said they doubted they would see a surge in U.S. business.

"Canada's always open and welcoming to Americans who want to relocate here, but we don't think it would be a trend or movement," said Gino Romanese of Royal Lepage Residential Real Estate Services in Toronto.

Those wishing to move to Canada could always take a risk and claim refugee status -- the path chosen earlier this year by two U.S. deserters who opposed the war in Iraq.

"Anybody who enters Canada who claims refugee status will be provided with a work permit ... it doesn't matter what country they're from," Iadinardi said.

Refugee cases are handled by special boards, which can take months to decide whether to admit applicants. The rulings can be appealed and opposition politicians complain some people ordered deported have been in Canada for 10 years or more.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....storyID=6704292

I do not know how relable the source is, but I have heard other similar stories about an actual movement starting.
My vote went to Bush, and I am proud of it. I could go on for pages about why, but I seems like the horse has been beaten to death.

I also aquired a great image that goes well with this article, but I do not know how to post it. Someone wanna PM me the rundown on how to do it?

Page 169 of 177 < 1 2 ... 167 168 169 170 171 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics