ctfisherman.com logo
Page 13 of 177 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 176 177 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#397022 - 10/02/04 01:50 AM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

Kapt wears pink scarves on his neck & molests skunks!
Fishing Info
#397023 - 10/02/04 02:28 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spin,

Great post, thank you for sharing that with us!

Catch n Release, Well done!

Jon h, I just thought of something else: You said,

"I don't think it really matters what sandy desert country in the middle east this war is fought at."

Then why don't we take this to Saudi Arabia, a vocal detractor (to put it mildly!) of the U.S. and a well known and well documented sponsor and supporter of terrorism and Islamic extremism? Not to mention the native land of Bin Laden and his entire family!

Could it be because, hmmmm.... W. and his daddy, and their "pals" (read "political contributors") in defense and oil have done extensive business with the Saudi's for YEARS, and billions and billions of dollars trade hands between them and the Saudis? hmmmmm....

Mitch, Bush does not POSSESS character, he IS a character, as in CARTOON CHARACTER!

CHARACTER? PUHLEEZE!?! Would a man of character have used his brother/Governor of Florida, and his campaign manager/Secretary of the State of Florida (both of whom acted in that order, I might add!) to hijack the election of 2000 and rob the American people of their right to elect their leaders?

Would a man of character willfully misrepresent (read "lie") to the entire world, the threat posed by Hussein and Iraq and the intellegence gathered about his so-called WMD's?

And as to leadership, I refer you to the eloquent words of Mr. Eisenhower:

"Leadership involves setting a direction and building consensus, not viewing other countries as practically devoid of significance. Recent developments indicate that the current Republican Party leadership has confused confident leadership with hubris and arrogance."

I admire your criteria, Mitch; character and leadership are certainly valuable traits in a President. Unfortunately, Mr. Bush has neither. What he has is a single minded, self-serving, elitist agenda, that is not in the best interests of the vast majority of the people of this country or the rest of the world. And he will stop at nothing to carry it out, including lying and spreading propaganda and disinformation in order to gain the support of loyal, patriotic, well-meaning Americans like you and Jon and others here and elsewhere, including folks in my own family. The reason you can relate to him when he speaks is because HE is the one who is telling people what they want to hear, instead of telling the truth, and thinking critically about the issues. He is appealing to the nationalist, patriotic spirit of well meaning, yet misled Americans like yourself and others.

I respectfully disagree with you about Mr. Kerry being inconsistent and all over the map and changing what he says depending upon who he is addressing. I have not found him to be inconsistent. He is simply astute enough to see things from all perspectives and to consider them when he addresses them. I try to do that myself. And as to "waffling" I think that he is simply intelligent enough to be able to augment his position as necessary based upon new information or changing dynamics.

It doesn't take courage or leadership to stick to an ill conceived, single minded, one track message or agenda, or wrong headed direction; just a lack of critical thinking ability, a lack of creativity, and a lack of flexibility. Resorting to war in Iraq was clearly a mistake; it was premature, unjust, and poorly undertaken. Granted, once he committed us, we must now finish the job. But Bush is not the one to do so.

When I combine these 3 factors:

1) the 2000 election and the shenanigans in Florida, with

2) our failed foreign policy (which includes how Bush lied and took us to war prematurely and unnecessarily, as well as his unilateral, cowboy, attitude and disdain towards our allies), and

3) our sagging econonmy, and the tax cuts that favored corporate interests and the wealthy, as well as the budget deficit,

I can see absolutely no redeeming qualities in this man which would entitle him to my vote.

I don't expect a President to agree with me on every issue. But I do expect a President to be morally and intellectually honest enough to know right from wrong (no Clinton references, please! That was his personal business and had no impact whatsoever on me or the country). Bush has proven that he does not. He has been wrong on foreign policy, wrong on the economy, and was wrongly appointed as "KING" of the U.S. in 2000 in the first place.

This man has got to go!
#397024 - 10/02/04 04:41 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
bunkerrman Offline

Loc: Waterbury
My gf (who was undecided before the debate), couldn't believe that Kerry wouldn't answer the questions and launched into his own diatribe every time. After an hour, we called it quits and snuggled. I'll vote for Bush because his family is at least there for him. I know that if I was running? My family would be there with me to support me. Too bad Perot isn't running, he made sense but he's also shorter than anyone he'd run against and we all know that Americans hate short people as president. Wayne

I fish fresh and salt as well as crab.Streams,rivers,ponds,lakes,bays,oceans.I buy a license so I can keep when I am going to eat it and throw back when I am not.
#397025 - 10/02/04 05:20 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
FLAG-UP Offline

Well said nu2salt.Thanks for allowing the thread mitch.
#397026 - 10/02/04 06:16 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
jonh Offline

FUBO

Nu2, I am not interested in getting into a circular agrument with you on the internet.

Simply stated, Kerry is un-electable.

Good luck to you and your party next month.

and as always, F John Kerry

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#397027 - 10/02/04 08:11 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Baitrunner Offline

Want to read an interesting article on Mr. sKerry?Give this one a gander. Most illuminating, and rather entertaining, to boot.

http://www.taemag.com/issues/articleid.18218/article_detail.asp

As for an unbiased website, (the best I've ever seen, bar none), on where the ALL the canidates stand, try out this site:

http://www.issues2000.org/George_W__Bush.htm

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/John_Kerry.htm

(I linked both canidates to make it easy. Senate and house canidates are here, as well. Wonderful site!)

"I think, that all right-thinking people, are sick and tired of being told that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
#397028 - 10/02/04 10:18 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the opinion of a VET:

Dear Friends,
John Kerry is a true commander-in-chief and that was clear to me last night during the debate.

I'm Jim Wasser and I was second in command to John Kerry in Vietnam on Swift Boat 44. The John Kerry I knew then is the same John Kerry I saw last night debating on the tough issues surrounding Iraq.

As a union veteran, I really love this country. Let's face it, whoever becomes the next president has a bad situation on his hands in Iraq. But last night it was clear to me why John Kerry is the man to lead us out of this war and these troubled times.

Here's what I saw last night:

John Kerry has a plan to get us out of this deadly, costly mess in Iraq AND achieve our goals there.

George Bush is misleading America about this war—he just can't seem to own up to his failed record. Deadly insurgency is growing in Iraq and could result in all-out civil war, according to the administration's own top intelligence analysts.

George Bush has been totally distracted from the real war on terror. That's not the way to make America safer. He's wasted our money on millionaire tax cuts—but he's cutting grants to first-responder programs and trying to cut funding for firefighters by 33 percent. He's frozen hiring for border protection officers, cut funding for the community police program by 90 percent and he's ignoring vulnerabilities in our transportation system, from rail to ports to air travel.

George Bush just can't acknowledge his mistakes in the Iraq war and the war on terrorism—just like he refuses to acknowledge that here at home he's devastated working families who need good jobs, health care and overtime pay. No way can this president solve America's problems when he's too stubborn to acknowledge reality. John Kerry will make us safer than we are today. He will fund our first responders and make sure our ports and borders, planes, trains and infrastructure become secure.
Last night John Kerry met Bush head-on and laid out his plan for a new course in Iraq and his plan for winning the war on terror. It's the right plan—it's what we need. John Kerry will make America stronger and safer at home and respected in the world.

I served beside John Kerry and I know he has been in tough combat situations, putting his life on the line for America and for his men. That's what we need in a leader today—someone who really understands what our sons and daughters are facing under fire in Iraq and what we could face here at home if we don't get serious about the war on terror.

George Bush has not leveled with the American people about Iraq. No matter how many no-bid contracts go to his friends, no matter how many soldiers and civilians die, no matter how many kidnappings and beheadings, he tells us he’s done the right things. But let me tell you—his go-it-alone strategy is the WRONG course. When you're in combat, you don't want to "go it alone." You want your buddies right there with you like John Kerry was with me in Vietnam.

After the debate, I heard some of President Bush's supporters talking about "trust and confidence." Let's face it—John Kerry is the one you would trust next to you in a foxhole or covering your back on a swift boat. He's the one you want protecting the lives and freedoms of working families in America.

I trusted John with my life. After watching him debate last night, I trust him even more now with our future.

In solidarity,

Jim Wasser
Oct. 1, 2004
#397029 - 10/02/04 11:24 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
John from Madison CT Online   content

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
Naugy Joe:

Does it matter at all that John Kerry is the most Liberal of all the US Senators??

FACT: He is soft on defense, no matter what position he claims to finally have put together. I find it amazing that someone can listen to his back and forth wishy-washy positions on Terrorism and Iraq and believe that it comes from his heart.

If you want a man, with a several decade long position of poor defense support, intelligence cutting and the undermining of our troops, then please go vote for this man.

Seems the few simple words of a good orator are enough to convince many. I suppose forgetting his track record is merely a convienience.

Look at what he's done the past 30 years and tell me if it is in alignment with what he claims he will be doing.

Quote:
Let's face it—John Kerry is the one you would trust next to you in a foxhole or covering your back on a swift boat
Ha !! That's not the position of the majority of those who were in Vietman with him. Please read, "Unfit for Command". NOT ONE FACT has been disproven in this book.

John

#397030 - 10/02/04 11:36 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
FLAG-UP Offline

Why would you take the word of a book when you can take the word of a man who served next to him?Who funded that book anyway?
#397031 - 10/02/04 11:41 PM Re: Political Discussion: One Thread Only!
dave Offline

This is not even half of the Bush family tree.
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm
When Bush (1) lost the election the Clinton, He and two of his sons (Marvin and Neil) went on vacation and spent it with the royal Saudi family, each of them came back to America with thousands of dollars worth of gold bracelets and neckleces on their arms and necks, undeclared by the customs, Do a search folks, find out about your president, Michael Moore has been too damn good to him and he's just told a little of the truth.

Did any of you know that even as far back as 1942 the Bush family was doing business with Americas enimies.
In October 1942, ten months after entering World War II, America was preparing its first assault against Nazi military forces. Prescott Bush was managing partner of Brown Brothers Harriman. His 18-year-old son George, the future U.S. President, had just begun training to become a naval pilot. On Oct. 20, 1942, the U.S. government ordered the seizure of Nazi German banking operations in New York City which were being conducted by Prescott Bush.
Kerry may not be the best choice but he's the best choice we have for now, I do not care for him or his politics but he's getting my vote and anyone that i can drag to the poles.
take the time to do a search on all his white house gang. read up on the New American Century, the whole white house gang is part of it,
http://www.newamericancentury.org/lettersstatements.htm
http://www.prisonplanet.com/analysis_louise_010603_pnac.html

Anyone that votes for Bush and has a friend or relitive killed in a forign land has no one to blame but them selves.

remember, Iran and Korea are both in the on deck circle and if Bush gets in again, there will be no stopping him,and his gang, Cheney, Perle, Wolfowitz, Rove, Rummy,James Woolsey and some high up military generals.
Kerry may have tossed his medals. Talks like a nerd and is not aguy that you want to fish or party with but he is there for America and the people, right now we need someone to get America back on the rifgt track..JMHO
Page 13 of 177 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 176 177 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics