ctfisherman.com logo
Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1208132 - 05/03/10 12:37 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
It would be interesting to see how those oil skimming boats suck up the oil and water. How is the water filtered? What happenes to the oil that is retrieved?

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
Fishing Info
#1208157 - 05/03/10 01:02 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Crazy Ivan]
swwind Offline

Craig,

I have seen skimmimg boats work with great effectiveness in flat water and contained spills. There are various approaches, like old school oil water separators, filter media etc. The effectiveness of all the approaches drops dramatically with sea state.

The problem here is now scale. The amount of oil is getting so vast that even if every boom in the gulf is deployed you could only contain a small fraction of the oil.

I hate to say it brother - but your trip is toast. IMO - best case, book the same dates for 2011.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1208173 - 05/03/10 01:26 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
swwind Offline

Here is a good site for updates - http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/site/2931/

I suspect Hoop has been recruited into the "vessels of opportunity" program. How they have the balls to use the word "opportunity" in that program name is beyond me.

This is the area closed to fishing already. As we all know it may be weeks before the leak is controled.

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1208189 - 05/03/10 02:07 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Crazy Ivan]
jonh Offline

FUBO

Originally Posted By: Crazy Ivan
What happenes to the oil that is retrieved?
They'll probably mix it with a little ethanol and then mandate its use for recreational marine vessel fuel.

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#1208229 - 05/03/10 03:33 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: jonh]
steved Offline

Loc: fairfield ct
beautiful...what a great idea

steve
2005 32' whaler conquest
#1208546 - 05/04/10 05:08 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: steved]
FCJoe Offline

Just out of curiosity for someone more educated on drilling than myself, why would they use redundant hydraulic shut offs and not have some sort of electromagnet "dead man's switch" on there? I would think in offshore drilling a catastrophic rig failure would make those hydraulic shut offs pretty difficult to use and you'd want something that doesn't require manual triggering.

Good luck Hoop, hope this thing can be contained soon.

You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend - those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
#1208628 - 05/04/10 12:48 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: FCJoe]
RV6 Offline

Loc: Mystic & Beyond
Just got the NOAA notification of immediate fisheries closure in the Venice LA area. I'm so, so, sorry for you Cap'n Hoop. As if you guys haven't had enough to deal with down there in past few years, now this.

I've attached some photos from better days, when Gulf oil rigs served as gathering points for gamefish.. not as mass extinction ecological destroyers.

Now, I look at these photos from our trip out with you, with nostalgia and a tear in my eye. Probably the last of their kind for a very long time to come.

All my best to you Larry..

Russ~

#1208633 - 05/04/10 01:08 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Originally Posted By: swwind

I hate to say it brother - but your trip is toast. IMO - best case, book the same dates for 2011.

If BP wants to pay for my trip I will go down and help the cleanup!

They need to CAP THAT WELL! Stop the bleeding for crying out loud!

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1208659 - 05/04/10 02:15 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: FCJoe]
swwind Offline

I hope Hoop gets to post soon. My guess is that BP has put him to work as much as they possible can. I am anxious to hear his thoughts and hear about what he has seen.

Far be it for me to be the voice of optimism right now. But if they can get it 75% capped in 10 days, I think the pelagic sport fishery might be back within a year. I wish I understood more about how the dispersants work.

The coastal and inshore fisheries will be hit much harder - I suspect that will take years to rebound.

Originally Posted By: FCJoe
why would they use redundant hydraulic shut offs and not have some sort of electromagnet "dead man's switch" on there?

BP spent approximately $16 million lobbying Congress in 2009

#1208905 - 05/05/10 03:44 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
19stealth91 Offline

Loc: Old Lyme / Niantic
Hopefully they can get the well capped soon. The deepwater fleet provides employment for a lot of people around the country and it'd be a shame to lose it overseas. It's just too bad there hasn't been much talk about the men that died who very well may have died on the floor trying to shut it in.

The yellowfin are still lively down here 40 nm south of the wreck chasing bait 24 hours a day as far as the eye can see. We haven't had any fishing boats come out to us for a while so I guess they aren't even trying to navigate thru or around the slick.

Edited by 19stealth91 (05/07/10 06:50 PM)

2005 Glacier Bay 2670 Catamaran
2007 StarCraft SF14L
Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics