ctfisherman.com logo
Page 22 of 25 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1221121 - 06/11/10 05:41 PM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Mycept]
swwind Offline

Originally Posted By: Mycept
I think you can turns years into....decades. Having worked in the Gulf for years on all aspects of deep and shallow water trophodynamics (200-3k+) feet, we don't know anything. No one has a clue what the impacts of the oil will be on species and systems that we really don't know much about to begin with. What about the pelagics that spawn in the gulf, what about all of the ichthyoplankton from lots of commercial species (fish and crustaceans), what about the overall ecosystem functions and transfer...

Even if they get it all cleaned up on the surface, the long-term implications are so unknown. It's unfortunate, especially when you find out why things happen and what we could have been doing proactively to help prevent these things.

Can't look back now though, just have to keep looking forward and get it done.

Great Post !

The newest data looks like potentially as much 40,000 barrels a day. Only a fraction is on the surface. With the instream injection of dispersants, this spill is like none other. As Mycept says, nobody has a clew of the implications in the mid water and pelagic habitats.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
Fishing Info
#1221128 - 06/11/10 06:06 PM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
Buck Offline

I am simply dumfounded that they had no solution to cap a deep water well in a situtation like this. Or to insert a sleave within or outside of the existing pipe once they cut it off. I would never have believed that they would be so helpless in this situation.
#1221140 - 06/11/10 06:44 PM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Buck]
Murph Offline

Loc: CT. Got a problem with that?
think its bad now, just wait until the first good hurricane comes into the Gulf.

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

#1221275 - 06/12/10 03:11 AM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Murph]
poolpaul Offline

why do they not have to have a shut off on that pipe???????? say every 100ft or so i dont think that would be hard to do
#1221283 - 06/12/10 04:09 AM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Buck]
bigtoad Offline

Originally Posted By: Buck
I am simply dumfounded that they had no solution to cap a deep water well in a situtation like this. Or to insert a sleave within or outside of the existing pipe once they cut it off. I would never have believed that they would be so helpless in this situation.

ditto, we can clone animals...heck probably even humans, we can put men on other planets....... but we cant plug a hole???????

Edited by bigtoad (06/15/10 12:38 PM)

Someday I will get paid to fish, for now I have to work.
#1221553 - 06/13/10 11:34 AM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: bigtoad]
Jon S. Offline

Loc: Clinton
Hoop was on channel 3 news last night. They were showing a boat coming into the marina and I said hey that looks like Hoop's boat. Then they showed a close up and it was the "Our Freedom" and Hoop. Anyone else see it?

Fish On!
#1221820 - 06/14/10 12:06 AM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Jon S.]
Firefighter Skippy Offline

Loc: CT
Anyone hear from Hoop lately?

Sandy

#1222248 - 06/14/10 11:26 PM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Louie-Louie Offline

Loc: Union, Conn.-Westerly RI
I was watching the RI news over the weekend and saw a short interview down there by the TV crew and it was Hoop I believe.
The bite was a short one. Am I right Hoop?
#1222309 - 06/15/10 06:07 AM Re: Oil rig explosion [Re: Louie-Louie]
Blaine Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Yep, that was Hoop... He was on locally here in CT too.
#1222364 - 06/15/10 01:06 PM Re: re: Oil rig explosion [Re: swwind]
Bruiser360 Offline

Loc: New Milford
Originally Posted By: swwind
(CNN)this morning

The morning the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, a BP executive and a Transocean official argued over how to proceed with the drilling, rig survivors told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive interview.

The BP official wanted workers to replace heavy mud, used to keep the well's pressure down, with lighter seawater to help speed a process that was costing an estimated $750,000 a day and was already running five weeks late, rig survivors told CNN.

BP won the argument, said Doug Brown, the rig's chief mechanic. "He basically said, 'Well, this is how it's gonna be.' "

"That's what the big argument was about," added Daniel Barron III.

Shortly after the exchange, chief driller Dewey Revette expressed concern and opposition too, the workers said, and on the drilling floor, they chatted among themselves.

"I don't ever remember doing this," they said, according to Barron.

"I think that's why Dewey was so reluctant to try to do it," Barron said, "because he didn't feel it was the right way to have things done."

This screams of negligence on a massive scale - I feel nothing but anger.

My initial evaluation of what potentially happened appears to have been way off.

A lot of shortcuts and poor decisions made from the top and questioned at the bottom, but still carried out.

Maybe it's incredibly naive, but I can't believe these execs would take this kind of rick with their employees and equipment. My company has a hard time accepting that office employees might get a papercut and tries to prevent against even the most menial risks at all costs. 'Kind of makes me happy to work for them.

Edited by Bruiser360 (06/16/10 12:28 AM)
Page 22 of 25 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics